Thursday, September 30, 2010

What Do You Do When Life Shows Up?

It seems like an easy enough question, right? Well, after you figure out your version of what "life" is to you it might be easy. For me, I'm not talking about the every day wake up, make breakfast, do some housework, etc. I mean when life's hurricane's come through and really do a number on you. Here are a few examples:

1. Someone you care for so deeply gets sick and every time you hang up the phone with them you never know if it will be the last time you'll hear their voice.
2. You're having a spat with a relative...someone you never in a bazillion years thought you'd argue with and now you're not speaking.
3. A case of head lice has gone through your house 3 times and every time you think you've got it under control someone new brings some new "friends" home.
4. A window that you've had repaired 4 times is leaking again.
5. Twins that even when you do what they want/need it still isn't good enough and their heads start spinning out of control. (Not really, but sometimes I'm just waiting for it to happen.)
6. These same twins that have been so sweet have suddenly started hitting and the other one has started screaming for absolutely no good reason at all.

What I am describing dear friends is our lives in a nutshell. Lately if it's not a mad dash to football practice just in time to be eaten my bugs, it's a mad dash to get everyone in and out of the showers and tucked in tight. So, back to my original question, what do you do when life shows up? I wanted to share my honest response to being overwhelmed with life. Well, first I typically have my meltdown...my meltdowns range from silent tears to full out sobs. My breathing becomes shallow and I wonder if I'm going to have a full on panic attack. Then Satan grabs hold and takes me to dark places making me question my abilities as a wife, mother and Christian. When I somewhat pull myself together I (out loud) ask my Bible scholars, Victoria and Ethan, for a Bible verse. In turn they will give me whatever God has laid on their little hearts. Suddenly, my breathing slows, and I find myself smiling because I know I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be. Besides, although things stink right now...this too shall pass.


4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for your transparency! I'm a mom to 3 girls, and there are times when I am so overwhelmed with everything. It's so easy to forget God is in control and is working everything for our good. You'll be in my prayers. By the way, your blog is such a blessing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you sweetheart and I will pray extra hard for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had read this a few weeks ago!! I feel that I have definitely been under attack from the one out to destroy!! It's been a rough couple of weeks in our house too! I will stand in the gap for you friend!! And you're right, this too shall pass...just have to keep reminding myself that too!! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...