Friday, October 17, 2014

Teary Eyes and Emotional Highs

My oldest daughter, Victoria, is now in high school.  I know, I know.  I've said it a million times.  Have I said how awesome she is lately?  Hmmm, not sure I have TODAY.  Let's take it back a couple of years.

My girl has always been an overachiever.  She excels academically and has an exceptional musical gift.     In middle school she was the leader for reading the most books and because of that she was a super-star for their competing book club.  She was on the academic team for 2 years.  Only 10 students are chosen from the entire school.  She played in the jazz band and competed in several competitions...all of which she came out on top.  Am I a proud Momma?  You bet I am.

Moving to high school, I knew she would face a number of challenges, with everything being new.  I am happy to say, she didn't miss a beat.  She enrolled for all honors classes and even joined the marching band.  To say I was nervous would be an understatement.  She has quickly risen to the top and is still a leader in our home...despite the workload, the practices, the baby sitting she does for our family, and the helper she is to her friends.  

What has surprised me the most is band.  Watching the kids, actually my kiddo, go from learning the proper form of marching (because yes, there is a right and wrong way to do it) to doing a 7 minute series of movements has been incredible.  I must admit, I wasn't quite sure of marching band in the beginning.  I had never really paid attention to it before.  But, wow!  The whole thing is amazing and seeing our girl be a part of such a large team (227, to be exact) that are
all working together is so neat.


They competed 3 weeks ago for the first time this year.  Their director had said several times, the band has never won their first competition before, but he wanted them to get a feel for being in front of judges.  So what a pleasant surprise it was to get 1st place!  The smiles, cheers, and pictures were standard procedure for the Roy family.  What wasn't so normal were the misty eyes her Dad and me experienced.  Yes, I did in fact get teary.  Perhaps one or two escaped, but who's counting!





My parents watched me cheer and compete all through high school and into college, so I got to see how happy and proud they were of me.  I won't deny it, it felt good.  But now...now the roles have changed.  I am privileged enough to watch my child represent her school and perform in front of tons of people.  It feels so good.  I didn't quite understand the joy in my parents eyes when they watched me, but I definitely get it now.  Being a parent comes with many challenges, but the rewards?
Wow, they make it all worth it. 


Gam and Poppy were even able to make it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...