Tuesday, October 22, 2013

I've Got This

...said no Mother ever!
 
 
I was thinking about this the other night as I was dicing avocados, calling out science questions and encouraging the little girls to "jump in" the bathtub.  In between breaths and many attempts not to chop off a finger, I pondered on the fact that this was supposed to be a smooth day.  I had canceled all my morning plans, so I could work on things around the house that desperately needed my attention.  After dropping the kiddos off at school I had a full 6 hours and 15 minutes to get everything done in order to set us up for a successful afternoon and nighttime.  How and when exactly things turned completely crazy is unknown to me.  Here's the breakdown:
 
3:00  Greet Ethan and catch up on his day.  Victoria had a football game she had to play for (band).
 
3:20-3:50  Pick up the little girls from school.
 
4:00  Greet Christian and hear all about his day.  He had a big science test!
 
4:30  Snacks and homework begin...cue western chase music.  *Christian had time to eat and quickly change into his football gear.
 
5:00  Christian left for his football game.  Mike and I kissed hello/goodbye and they were off.  Thank goodness for my husband!  I don't know what I'd do without him!!
 
5:00-7:00 Homework, dinner, and baths.  All were going on roughly at the same time (except dinner).  Addie decided this was a good time to shave the front part of her leg; thankfully not her face, which is what was first reported to me by her sister.  I had stopped calling out test questions to Ethan to assure her that we all make mistakes, but not to do this again.  I must admit, it was slightly funny.  From the age of 18 months Addie Pie has never failed to keep me on my toes.
 
7:30  Ethan took a break from homework to hear about Tori and Christian's game while I took the little ones to upstairs to brush, read, and sing.
 
8:30  Ethan and Tori are at their homework.  Poor Ethan had so much!!  It was painful to watch him work so hard with zero time to just sit back and relax.  I was helping him cover his notebooks while Christian was reading to Daddy.  Victoria was filling me in on her day.
 
9:00  Christian was in bed and ready to be tucked in. (I simply love my nightly tuck ins.  That's when they really reveal what's in their heart.  I pray I never take this time for granted.)  Ethan was wrapping everything up.
 
10:00  I said goodnight to Victoria and stumbled up the stairs.  After my shower, I crawled in bed to a sleeping husband.  Just to wake up at 5 and start all over. 

It's strange.  I thought when this school year started I would have so much time on my hands that I would actually be bored.  I actually believed I would have plenty of time to meet with friends, get very active with church activities and the children's schools.  So far, it has been just the opposite.  I am never bored; I am thankful to participating in A Bible study and am happy to be able to send things in to the children's school. With that being said, I have made it my priority to be done with everything by the time school is out.  Sometimes my to-do list is complete, but most of the time it's not.  However, I make myself available to my kids.  This year has been a big transitional year for every single one of them, myself included.  Although some days feel a little crazy and most days I feel I'm forgetting SOMETHING, I am confident my efforts will pay off in the end.  Dr. James Dobson says it wonderfully:
 
"There is a higher calling...Raising children who have been loaned to us for a brief moment outranks every other responsibility.  Besides, living by that priority when kids are small will produce the greatest rewards at maturity."
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...