Friday, December 12, 2014

Me and My Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Attitude

I woke up December 5th already feeling defeated.  Thankfully I had slept for 6 hours and 15 minutes, according to my FitBit.  (I love that thing.) On the forefront of my mind was the simple fact that IF all of my "home remedies" had not naturally unclogged our toilet, I would have to...go in.  Seriously, this thing had been taunting me for a day and a half.  Gross, I know.  The unsightly truth is that SOMEONE had used the restroom AFTER I had announced that it was out of order.  So the mess went from bad to worse and I had gone from being bummed to mentally retching. 

That morning, the 5th, I was busy getting the kiddos ready for school and dealing with one impossible-to-please little girl.  By 8:26 I was sure this day hated me.

Although I felt like crawling back into bed and burying my head beneath the covers, I decided to do the opposite of what my body was begging for.  That is a simple lesson I've learned over the years to help battle the blues.  So... I hustled through my daily chores:  two loads of laundry, clean the kitchen, pick up and vacuum the living room.  It felt pretty good to complete those tasks in 2 short hours.  There was plenty more that could have been done, but I had to stop and run the errands I had putting off all week.

1.  Mail a package for Mike
2.  Get food for our lizard
3.  Head to the Kohl's and make some returns and exchanges.
4.  Finally, make my way to the commissary.

It's true, it took me 5 and a half hours, but it felt so good to check those things off my list.  The best part was knowing how happy my kiddos were going to be with the groceries;  that is probably one of their most favorite days.  It's funny how excited we get over food. 

I was almost home when I remembered the toilet.  Deep breath...pull up my big girl pants...drop $25 on an auger.  When I got home, Mike was on the computer.  What an awesome way to be greeted!!  Happiness can help a lot of things - including my ability to completely ignore the screaming child in the background.  One mean face and a "get to your room" had the problem temporarily solved.

After soaking in every detail of my husband's face, I decided it was time.

Just as I was heading to the room of death, my oldest son said, "I'll do it Mom."  I handed him the rubber gloves and the "new toy" and the boy did exactly what he said he would do.  He did it...problem solved.  When the water began to move, I do believe the heavens opened and I heard the angels singing.

What started as a 'terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day' attitude, ended in triumph.  I had completed every task I'd hoped to and my son had stepped up to help me out.  It's funny how God used this situation to teach me a lesson.

What a blessed day it was.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...