Monday, April 13, 2015

A Very Unconventional Easter

After spending one of the most perfect days with my children and getting a PR on my latest 5k, we prepared to celebrate Easter.  We talked about the resurrection...colored our eggs...and even put out some vegetables for the bunny.  It took some time, but eventually everyone was tucked in tight.  To say I was exhausted would be an understatement.  I filled the baskets and decided I would set my alarm to wake up and hide the eggs.  The alarm blared at 4:30...dear me, where did my night go?!  Despite my best efforts to wake up, I just couldn't clear the cobwebs from my brain...and eyes!!!  I knew the kiddos would search the house to make sure the bunny had grabbed them, so I decided to stick them in the freezer until morning (just a few hours away).  Let me just say, this was just the beginning of what will be known as the most unconventional Easter ever.





Our church service was beautiful!  The message was clear...the proof of Christ's existence is everywhere and the his selfless sacrifice cannot be disputed, no matter the "scientific" proof.  When we got home, I had barely put the car in park before the children were making a mad dash to their baskets.  It was time to find their eggs.  Seeing them smile made me feel so happy, but I just couldn't ditch the emptiness I felt deep inside.  This was our 3rd Easter in a a row without Mike.  I suppose it's a good thing I didn't have a chance to dwell on that, because as soon as I looked up all 5 kiddos (even Victoria and Ethan) had baskets in hand.  They raced to find their 12.  Of course some found more which left others missing some which led to frustration.  Sigh...some things you've just got to roll with.  After all emotional "fires" were put out, it was time to move in for the obligatory family (minus 1) picture.

You would have thought I was asking for the world....Getting everyone to smile and look at the camera at the same time was nearly impossible.  Kaitlyn wouldn't stop fussing about her brother finding HER special egg.  Silly little quibbles are unavoidable, although still annoying.  The gnats were terrible and the humidity made it even worse.   So, you be the judge...



Christian knows the drill!  Um, why didn't anyone tell me my skirt looked that short?!  Yikes!


Really Ethan?




Kaitlyn...will you please stop fussing!?!


Come on Ethan we're almost there!


 And here it is, our "grin and bare it...ignore the gnats...tune out Kaitlyn" Easter picture.

Everyone grabbed their stuff and ran inside to peel their eggs and have lunch.  That would have been a great snack before our meal except that:
#1 Ethan had decorated 4 raw eggs.  I'm still not exactly sure how that happened as I had boiled 30.  There goes 4 in the trash.
#2 Every other egg had cracked and was soggy.  Yep, you read that right.  Think sponge.  Turns out my quick-thinking idea to put them in the freezer was really not very smart.  26 more eggs went into the trash.  So, so frustrating.  I suppose this is a perfect example of live and learn.

Then, I realized I had no idea what we were going to eat for our Easter meal.  There was no ham...no green bean casserole...not even dinner rolls.  Insert Mommy guilt.  After smiles, hugs, and encouraging words from my favorite 5, we decided that Chinese food was the way to go.  While feasting on some of our favorite foods we all watched Big Hero 6 together.

Although this was not the most traditional Easter, it will go down as one of the most entertaining.


By the end of the day, Kaitlyn was thankfully able to smile again.




1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...