Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Sometimes you just need a hero.

It's easy to fall into a comfortable routine; especially if things have been going rather smoothly.  However, I have given up on the naivety that life will stay that way...smooth.  It is almost always a guarantee that something is on the horizon.  Whether it's a relationship that falls apart and the pieces need to be mended; a deployment is in full swing; there's deadline that unexpectedly shows up, or in my case, my daughter's ceiling came down.  Let me just say that again...parts of my daughter's ceiling came down.

What had started as the perfect Sunday that included: worship, skating, and friends ended in disaster. My upstairs bathroom (directly over my daughters bedroom) was leaking.


This was one of those times where it was 100% necessary for the children and myself to pull ourselves together and work as a team.

-Victoria called Poppy and explained the situation.
-Ethan began moving things out of the way as quickly as possible.
-Christian made some dinner for the girls before taking them upstairs and getting them all tucked in.
-As for me, well I ran next door to grab my neighbor.  Poor guy had just gotten home from a date      with his wife...still dressed up and everything.

Only after my friend had climbed over toys, nearly tripped on shoes, and removed all obstacles from a well lived-in house, we unanimously agreed that this was indeed a disaster.  The house...the leak...my daughter's room...my life!  A bit dramatic, perhaps, but there is no drama in the fact that I am currently without my husband.  That in and of itself makes every bad situation seem worse.

It's true that some things simply can't be avoided...the call to our insurance company falls into that category.  Finding a quiet opportunity to make an important call these days is nearly impossible.  To find that moment and make it through the call without sounding completely frazzled IS impossible.  The next day I was able to talk to Mike about everything going on.  His response was worded in the most romantic, the most thoughtful, and the most heroic way possible...

"Let me call them honey."

Sweeter words have never been spoken.  After the initial call was made the process went quickly.  The contractor came followed by a gentleman to get the mitigation process started.  Now for the plumbing...yea the plumbing.  Since the wet ceiling had now been removed it was easy to see all work that needed to be done.  I had no idea where to begin finding someone reputable that wouldn't cost one million dollars.  When suddenly...

My Daddy walked in.

I breathed such a sigh of relief when I saw his face.  Not only can he do anything, but his hugs just make you feel like everything is going to be all right.  It didn't take him long to spot the problem(s) and hop into action.  He had even brought all his tools with him!!!  After a full days work and a few hiccups along the way, we were leak free.  Total cost of the repair...$53!!


After the removal of part of the ceiling.


Let the mitigation begin.


...and this is where it all began, with a poorly installed shower drain.


Now, we wait for the reconstruction to begin.  

What have I learned from this?  I am stronger than I give myself credit for,
but sometimes you just need a hero...or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...